Saturday, January 20, 2007

More White Light


The vet called yesterday. The bottom line is that Atticus needs another surgery. It won't heal him. He'll need another and another. Even if we were millionaires we'd never be able to save him and give him the normal family life we so desperately wanted to give him. He is in constant pain and it's time to end it. We all tried, but sometimes it's not enough. So, in a couple of hours we are going to the vet's to have him put to sleep.
I just can't tell you all how much this hurts. I feel like I failed in what I tried to do for him. Friends are telling me I haven't. That in the end of his life he knew kindness and love. I hope so. We may not have been able to give him the three years I hoped for--we weren't even able to give him three months--but we gave him something better than what he had. We did give him love and toys and a very good friend in Lulu. They jumped, wrestled and played with their toys. They destroyed one of their beds on day! You should have seen it. After that they only had one bed left and they shared it. (I'll post the pictures).
They shared their only bed. They shared toys and food and water bowls. They shared everything. We gave him friendship at the end. I suppose giving him friendship, kindness and love are the best gifts we could have given him. We couldn't control how long we gave him those gifts--that's out of our hands--but we gave him those gifts for as long as he was with us.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Chari-Dee said...

(((((((Kim))))))) I am so sorry! You gave him the best possible gift, you gave him love like he never had before and there is nothing better in the world than that!

12:14 PM  
Blogger Cherry Red said...

Thanks Char. It means so much.

5:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home