Thursday, January 04, 2007

New Year Indulgences

Thank you to Jenny Crusie for this idea!

In 2007 I think indulgences are important. Why? Because I am going to attempt a long list of positive changes this year and I believe in rewarding good behavior. More on those positive changes (I'll be calling them Goals rather than Resolutions) in another post.

Everyday Indulgences:

1) Long, hot showers after every weekday work out. No more 1 minute dash-in-and-dash-out showers. No sirree! 5 minutes with steaming hot water, Bath and Body Works shower gel and coordinating lotion afterwards. Hey, if I'm going to get up at 5 AM, 5 mornings a week and drag myself to the gym for an hour, I deserve to feel good afterwards. I have this totally covered. I have Warm Vanilla Sugar, Pecan Pie, Mango Madarin and (everything they offer in) Sweet Pea. It's my favorite.

Special Indulgences:

If I complete a manuscript this year and send it out, I will purchase a custom made bracelet from So Charmed. I've seen them in person and they are quite beautiful. My friend Betsy ordered hers first...and she told Jenny who ordered them one, two and three times. Also, Barb Ferrer from the post below also ordered hers when she sold her book Adios to My Old Life. Nice, huh? I want one too...when I earn it.

In honor of my Muses...Seasonal Indulgences:

Spring~

I will allow myself to make at least one writing collage. (Examples: here*, here**, here+, and here*) I have been collecting scraps of paper from catalogs, magazines and calendars over the years and I've yet to splurge on expensive trims or decorations, but I deserve it. One day this Spring, I will take a day off work, shop for supplies in the morning and collage all afternoon. The Girls (AKA The Muses: Winter, Spring, Summer & Autumn) need to be fed.

*Jenny Crusie
**R.L. LaFevers
+Barbara Samuel

Summer~

I will buy myself a killer outfit for my cousin Kari's wedding on 7/7/07 (in Vegas baby!) if I lose 25 pounds (one pound a week) by then. This will include any dress I want, a new pair of shoes, a matching purse, nice costume jewelry and a wrap.

Autumn~

Perhaps another day off and collage? I've been fiddling with multiple WIPs, so a second collage would be just dandy.

Winter~

I'd always wanted to have a holiday open house. If I get all my cards written and most of my shopping done by the end of November, I'll do it. I have the cutest Christmas dishes on earth (the colors are so unlike me. In person they re much more pastel-ish than the link--but I love them!) and I've never actually used them. Plus, I'm a good hostess. A much better party-giver than party-goer. Probably because I'm shy.

This indulgence list works for me. I think I want some kind of monthly indulgences too. Something else to fill the well writing-wise. Maybe I should get out my copy of The Artist's Way for ideas. Any suggestions?

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Chari-Dee said...

Oh yes! Very good! I thought about doing this, too. But the truth is I'm not very good at indulging myself. I feel guilty. Maybe mine should be that I have one day, just one where I step off the cross and let some one use the wood.

I Love your list and yes, you deserve them all and more!

6:17 AM  
Blogger Cherry Red said...

I'm totally like that too. That's why I thought I needed the list. Actually, as I said, they are really rewards for meeting goals (dress, shower gel) or encouragement to meet them (collages).

I think you need some indulgences this year, Char. I want to see your list!

6:39 AM  
Blogger dee said...

Oh Kim, I am just drooling over those charm-ing jewelry type things. Very nice.
And really, you so deserve to indulge yourself!

7:54 PM  
Blogger Cherry Red said...

Hi Dee,

Are they not adorable? Cory let me drool all over hers in Reno. :)

9:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home