Saturday, November 25, 2006

Holiday Recipe Idea

No doggie update yet. I'm too tired to explain it all. I will in a couple of days... I just typed up this recipe to give to someone and I figured I'd share it with all of you sinceI had it handy.

I made this for Thanksgiving and it was a huge hit. I don't really like pumkin and I also don't like strong-tasting gingerbread (which the gingerbread mixes usually are) but I liked this recipe a lot. So did my family.

Pumpkin Gingerbread Trifle
2 (14-ounce) packages gingerbread mix

1 (5.1-ounce) package cook-and-serve vanilla pudding mix
1 (30-ounce) can pumpkin pie filling (I used the one that was already mixed for a pie)
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 teaspoon cinnamon
1 (12-ounce) container frozen whipped topping (I used the large tub of Cool Whip Light)
1/2 cup gingersnaps, optional (I used them--the little crunch was great. Nilla Wafers would have been good too.)

Bake the gingerbread according to the package directions; cool completely. Meanwhile, prepare the pudding and set aside to cool. Stir the pumpkin pie filling, sugar, and cinnamon into the pudding. Crumble 1 batch of gingerbread into the bottom of a large, pretty bowl. (I cubed the gingerbread rather than crumbling. It looks prettier in the bowl) Pour 1/2 of the pudding mixture over the gingerbread, then add a layer of whipped topping. Repeat with the remaining gingerbread, pudding, and whipped topping. Refrigerate overnight. Trifle can be layered in a punch bowl. Sprinkle the top with crushed gingersnaps before serving, if desired.


This recipe was great. I didn't have a trifle bowl, but I used one that's cylinder-shaped so all the layers showed beautifully. This would be a nice birthday cake alternative for people who like those split-and-filled bakery cakes that are all layered with cream and fruit and wrapped in a clear collar. You could substitute white or yellow cake and mix some fruit into the pudding instead and add fresh fruit to the layers as well. Or you might make it with choc cake or brownies, chocolate pudding and fresh raspberries. Yum!

Enjoy!

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Chari-Dee said...

I'm going to have to try this for Christmas dinner this year. I usually make the bread and one dessert. It will be nice to have a new dessert to try.

Thanks! Sounds yummy!

6:40 AM  
Blogger Cherry Red said...

I think everyone will like it. I'm already thinking about how good it would be with cranberry bread and something else mixed in the pudding rather than pumpkin. Mandarin oranges and more craberries with maybe some walnuts on top. Or coconut. Oh, yum!

Is it obvious I'm usually the one in charge of dessert? I usually eat a light meal so I have room. It's my favorite part of the meal. ;)

9:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home