Sunday, November 19, 2006

Our Boy


So far he has no name. He came into the rescue named Joe, apparently a very popular Boxer name. (Get it? Joe Boxer-- Har-dee-har!) To differentiate between him and the other Joes, they called him "The Average Joe." His foster mom wouldn't have any of that ("he's so not average!" she told us) so she named him Griffen. We're not wild about Griffen. Abner likes Atticus and actually, I do too, but we're still mulling it over. Any suggestions?

It's funny how it all worked out. We wanted to meet white Boxers, but they were all adopted. So, we asked to see some Boxers who liked kids, other dogs, were mellow and possibly liked cats. We met two, one very chubby and sweet (but we felt no spark) and one flashy and beautiful (again, no spark). Lulu got along with both of them, dominant with one and submissive with the other. Very interesting. We started to feel some stress and were mulling over if getting a second dog was such a good idea when the foster mom pulled up with a couple of dogs in her car that she said not only tolerated cats, but liked cats. Being that we do have a cat, we thought this was a good omen. So they brought Griffen out to meet us.

I cried when I saw him. His legs are all full of scars and, for the first half hour or so, he wouldn't even look us in the eyes. The shelter had picked him up in an area where many dogs are used to bait pit bulls for fighting and they think that's what happened with him. He was just this big, sweet bundle of love. His previous owners must have been so disappointed when they realized he wasn't a fighter and I guess they just dumped him or turned him loose. (Awful-disgusting-no good-rat bastards!) I believe there's a special place in hell for people like that.

Anyway, he looks us in the eyes now--and what big beautiful brown eyes he has. Today he gave me a kiss and I was just so pleased. It's going to take him some time to settle in. He's started coughing now--so I think he has kennel cough. Off to the vet with him tomorrow!
Current mood: a bit stressed and a bit worried too

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Brooke said...

What a love. He's lucky you were there... and it sounds like maybe you were lucky, too.

There's nothing sadder than a dog who won't look you in the eye.

8:13 PM  
Blogger Cherry Red said...

Yes. I hope it all works out for us. Adding a second dog is always an iffy thing. So far, so good, though.

I forgot to mention that the poor baby is skin and bones too. His head looks too big for his body. You can see every one of his ribs.

I tell you, if someone gave me 5 minutes alone with his previous owner, I'd kick his ass.

8:28 PM  
Blogger Chari-Dee said...

If they give you five minutes, don't take it alone, I'll kick some ass with you. That just makes me sick. I don't understand how people can do that kind of stuff to animals. And look at the guy, he is just too cute! I'm sorry he isn't feeling well, and I am sending him the doggie equivilant of home-made chicken noodle soup, 'cept he has to share with Lulu too.

Oh, and I got my blanket today! Michele also sent the kids something each and me an extra something (or two). The blanket is sooooooo beautiful. I will treasure it forever!

I have to share the word verification, just too good not to, oyoyo - Jungle Love!

8:56 PM  
Blogger Robin L said...

OMG. I just made it over here today, Kim, and saw his sweet, heartbreaking little face. No wonder this is tearing you up inside!!

Hugs, darlin'!

4:23 PM  
Blogger dee said...

Ok, I have to say that I like Atticus. But maybe "Finch" would work as well. Sorry, I'm still on "To Kill a Mockingbird". Finch and LuLu sounds pretty good though, I think. Or maybe Scout. Of course, Scout and LuLu sounds like kids of Demi Moore, so not so sure about that one. Maybe...

Anyhow, he's gorgeous. And you have once again shown what an utter and complete angel you truly are.

10:25 AM  
Blogger Cherry Red said...

Hi Charity,
I'm glad you got your blanket and you liked it. Nikki is a talented young lady and I knew it would be lovely. I won Jill's cherry blanket (and pillows) and I'm looking forward to getting them.
---------------------

Hi Robin,
Thanks for the hugs. I simply can't belive that a dog like this, so sweet and good natured, was allowed to fall through the cracks by the shelter and the rescue. Whatever it costs to make him well again is well worth it. No one deserves to suffer as he has. The amazing thing is that he's not afraid of humans after all of this. He's timid, but very loving and hopeful to make friends.
--------------------

Hi Dee,
We're keeping the name Atticus--and yes, it's from To Kill A Mockingbird. Barb T (Cherry Bliss) sent me the most fabulous Atticus quote and it made the decision easy.

"Courage isn't a man with a gun, it's knowing you're licked before you've started but you go ahead anyway."

It pretty much describes both Atticus (the dog) and us. We're deciding to keep him, though he may be too sick to cure and too old to last long. But mostly it's for Atticus himself. He never gives up, even after all he's been through. So, he's chosen to start over again with us and make us his family, even if he's not sure of the outcome. Bless him. We'll do our best by him because he deserves that much.

Hugs,
Kim

4:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home