Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Victory!

I can't believe I didn't post yesterday! Election Day is huge at our house. HUGE! Like the World Series or the Superbowl are for some people. I've been interested in politics since I was about 14. I asked my mom what party we were and she said she didn't really know. So I did tons of research. It was the punk music I loved that got me interested in the first place. Bands like Crass had many political songs and I wanted to understand what the heck it was all about. I was more than ready to vote once I turned 18 and I haven't missed an election since. I called my mom the moment CNN announced we'd taken the House and screamed like a lunatic. She knew who it was, obviously. Did I mention I dragged her into politics with me? Yup, I sure did. Parents, let that be a lesson to you. You can learn from your kids too.

You can probably tell by the links on my Blog that I'm a Democrat. I lean pretty far left but I'm not a total Liberal. For one thing I believe in the death penalty (with DNA evidence, etc--I don't want any mistakes!)--so the liberals would never have me. I identify with Progressives or New Democrats on most points.

A big issue in CA was Proposition 85. I volunteered some time and money to the "No on 85" campaign and I'm more pleased than you can imagine that it didn't pass. I feel for the parents who want to be notified (I would too) but I fear for the girls from abusive homes that may take matters into their own hands more. Abortions with coat hangers and back alley abortions again? It could happen. So scary!

The other issue in the elections was (of course) the Dems taking back the House. I am so tickled pink I have been spontaneously bursting into song ever since last night. To be honest, I don't really want us to take back the Senate right now. I think the American people voted for change--and they want it NOW. I do too, but since President Bush has the power of the Veto, we won't be able to do all the things we want to do before the 2008 election. If we have control of the House and Senate, it will be very easy for the Republicans to turn it around and say, "You gave them total control in 2006 and what have they accomplished?" and then we'll lose in 2008. Hey, it's why they lost last night. They've had complete and total control for six years and they ran the country into the ground. The Dems have had no say in the matter.

I'd rather take baby steps. Nancy Pelosi set the tone last night in her speech when she said she wanted to work with the Republicans in a bi-partisan way. I'm all for that and I think America is too. Once they see she's not the Crazy Moonbat Liberal that the Republicans tried to paint her (and the party) as, they'll see they can trust the Dems. That's my hope, anyway.


Current NaNoWriMo Total: Still 1,670-- Will have more time to write now that the auction is underway and the election is over.

Current Mood: Jazzed! You all should have seen the hubby and I dancing around the room. It confused Lulu when he picked her up and twirled her around. Then she liked it and wanted to play. Yup! My little Bully-girl's a Dem. I knew it! ;)

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Chari-Dee said...

I voted and MB went with. Now when you ask her what she is going to do when she turns 18 and she says, I'm gonna reginster to boat. LOL I'm sure by that time the little girl speech impediment will be lost and she will actually register to vote.

10:12 AM  
Blogger Cherry Red said...

Awww, what a doll-baby Miss Beautiful is. And how wonderful that she's learning the importance of participating in the political process at such a young age. Go Mom!

"reginster to boat." I laughed oyt loud when I read that.

10:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home