Sunday, June 25, 2006

Time. Where do you find it?

I'm frustrated over my lack of writing time. I wish I could figure out a way to find more of it. I've noticed that when I decide to do anything important in my life, it takes up almost all my free time and, like most people, I don't have much of it.

As I stated in my profile, I'm working out again (5 times a week) and trying to be healthier. So, this means that I need to get up early Mon-Fri and go to the gym before work. So, no morning writing. This also means that I have to make sure I have healthy things packed for my lunch. So, every night I have to wash and chop fruit for my breakfast, wash and put together salad items for lunch (time consuming because I love salads, but not boring ones) and other things. By the time I've done this, cooked dinner and cleaned up the dinner dishes, I'm generally left with an hour or maybe two for computer time. If we have nowhere to go or nothing that needs to be done which most nights there's something...

Here's an example. Last week I promised to make a cake for my nephews' graduation party--and I was glad to do it because they love that special attention (and it was a special occasion)--but.... Tuesday I went shopping for cake ingredients, Wed I baked one sheet layer, Thurs I baked the second sheet layer, Friday I split and filled the layers and went to the cake decorating shop and bought decorations and Saturday afternoon I decorated it.

Those nights I had maybe a half-hour computer time and I pretty much checked e-mail and the Cherry Forums I moderate. There was no time to write. Even if I'd done those things already, I find it very difficult to get into my story with only a half an hour. I kind of ease into it. Unwind from my stressful day with e-groups, blogs and e-mail. After I'm mellow, I'm in the mood to write... But usually it's too late by then. The alarm rings at 5:10 AM for the gym, so I can't get to bed later than 11 PM or I'm dead on my feet the next day.

I really need a solution to this. I wish there was an easy answer. Already I'm looking to ahead to tomorrow night and I have a nail appt after work. That'll push everything at least an hour ahead and voila! I'll be lucky to get an hour in. If I'm not worn out from work, if the pets don't need attention, if the laundry doesn't need folding...

When I picked up the pen again a few years ago, my story raced through my mind at light speed. I couldn't make it stop. I wrote everywhere all the time. I'm not like that any more and I'm not sure why. Sometimes I wonder if I want to finish this manuscript bad enough, but I know I do. The idea of putting it in a drawer and walking away brings tears to my eyes. I just wish... Oh, I wish I could add just 2 more hours to my day... But I can't.

So, my dear Bloggers, how do you add time to your day? Do any of you have ideas on how to get into writing mode quickly? People have suggested a writing ritual (like burning candles or a certain music) to set a scene for writing. People have suggested plotting while driving home from work (though my drive is kinda short and I generally listen to the news on my way home or music if I'm stressed). How did you tackle this issue and come out on the e winning side of it? I'm all eyes and ears.

Current mood: frustrated and sad

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am zero percent helpful here. My general problem seems to be a huge lack of focus combined with a circadian rhythm that peaks at 10:00. By the time I'm ready to write, it's time to go to bed. I cleaned my living room today and that seems to have cleared my head a bit. But there's always something to do. Argh!

So believe me, I feel ya.

8:52 PM  
Blogger Brooke said...

(((((Kim))))) That is hard, isn't it? For me, I've let the exercise go, and the laundry, and my nails. I'm pretty solitary already, and I usually only do things with one or two friends in the week - and I don't watch a whole lot of television any more.

I get up early and try to write then; take the AlphaSmart or my laptop with me to work to write at lunch (or whenever I can grab the time), and sometimes at night I'll write.

But yeah, my husband is an active partner in keeping the house clean, and he's sometimes frustrated that I leave a lot for him to do, and that I'm often unavailable. So that's something we deal with. When he's feeling too much left alone, I put the writing away for a day or two until we get him loved.

And when I do write, I focus. I warm up for 10-15 minutes on blog posts or reviewing notes, and then I dive in. When you don't have much time, there's no time to waste.

It's always a balancing act, it's definitely tricky and I'm giving up a lot - and frankly, I think I have it easier than most.

10:31 PM  
Blogger dee said...

This is a really tough one for me too.
See, my house is a zoo during the day, with all the kids running crazy. And there are days when I really feel the guilt from being at my computer. Then there are the two days a week when I'm at the restaurant, and the day at church, and trying to spend family time on Saturdays. Plus, I am a total night owl. I really enjoy my quiet time alone at night, with my keyboard and my coffee. The bad part is that Shane tends to wait up for me to go to bed, and then I feel ...more guilt... because he's waiting for ME, and all I want to do is write. In my office. Alone.
So a few nights a week, I stay up late, and write to my heart's content. The rest of the time, I try to work on my story, without writing. I find I can do lots of research in those 20 minute breaks between screaming kids and cooking dinner and folding laundry and and and.
So yeah, I use my short times for working on the story, and then I make long times for writing the story.

7:53 PM  
Blogger Cherry Red said...

Caryle~
I get what you mean. By the time I've waded through e-mial and such, I'm finally in the mood to write around 10 PM. ANd it's almost time for bed by then.

Brooke~
I'm with you. I never do stuff with friends and I seldom watch tv. Perhaps 2 nights a week if that. My husband is not an active participant in household chores. He's in charge of the gardening, but he doesn't do much inside. He's also taking classes right now so he's studying a lot. It's hard to justify writing time when he's working on homework. A sure thing vs. a dream, if that makes sense.

Dee~
With 6 kids I have no clue how you do it. I have no right to whine. ZERO. I know what you mean about the DH needing his attention too. My dh was the middle child and had a brilliant older brother and an adorable much younger sister and he really, really needs it. Me being an only child always got tons of attention, and I give it well, so we mesh in that respect. But it does make it hard to choose writing over spending time with him when he wants it. 99% of the time I choose him.

------------------

Solution? Just do it. Really, that's my only solution. Quit whining and make it work. Thanks for the kind words of support you guys!

9:04 PM  
Blogger meesh said...

I know what you mean. For me it's that I've gone back to school and work full time so my writing time is pretty slim. I haven't read anything that was not purchased at the campus book store in ages!
One of the things I find helpful for me is to make a schedule and do my best to stick to it. I try to promise myself say, three hours of writing time this week. Then I figure out when the best time would be to sqeeze in a half hour here, an hour there. Sometimes I make it, sometimes not.

I'm trying to come up with a viable time machine to get those extra hours in the day, but the quantum physics is killing me. :)

Don't get too down on yourself. I think it's wonderful that you've decided to pursue this dream. It doesn't matter if you finish it in a year or in ten years. :)

11:54 PM  
Blogger Cherry Red said...

Thanks Meesh. You're such a sweetie. :)

11:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home