Saturday, August 09, 2008

Thoughts on RWA National

I've been exhausted all week! I don't travel much and the trip and preparation took a lot out of me. The two 11 hour bus rides and getting barely any sleep each night in between them didn't help much either!

I didn't do many workshops this time. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there were many fine offerings and great speakers, but since my immediate goal is completing one of my manuscripts and getting out of my rut, only a few of them pertained to me. I'm avoiding the business/publishing end of writing like the plague. I just don't need to think about such things right now. I did attend a few, plus the Ritas, a luncheon and a short bit of the literacy signing, and I did get my conference handouts on CD, so I'm glad I signed up for the conference and I feel I got my money's worth.

I did see friends. Lots and lots of friends. Some I've known for years, some I only met this year, but all wonderful women who I enjoyed spending time with.

I'm even getting better in crowds, so I didn't have a total introvert-meltdown like I did in Reno, which is great. I'm getting to know my limits better, and knew when it was time to go off by myself for a while on Friday afternoon before I got sick. Yay me! It helped, too, that I was surrounded by friends who I know better now, so less awkwardness for a shy girl.

All in all, National was a wonderful experience and I can't wait to go to the next one. Not sure if I can afford to do DC next year (though Michele insists we are going) but I guess it's time to start saving now if I hope to, just in case.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, we ARE going :) I'm thinking positive because I really want to go! I had THE BEST time. Even better than Reno. And you ARE getting much better in crowds! I think we both are.

Michele

3:51 PM  
Blogger Cherry Red said...

Micjele,

Ok. We are going. Better start saving your pennies now. Next year will require airline tickets!

Of course we both are. You, much better than me.

Hugs girl,
Kim

11:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home