Saturday, September 16, 2006

Recipe

Since I love this recipe, I thought I'd post it. This is what I brought to the Potluck we had at work this week. I call it Joanne's Chinese Cabbage Salad, but I've also heard it called Chinese Cole Slaw. It's very simple to make and consisits of dressing, topping and the actual veggie-part.

*~Joanne's Chinese Cabbage Salad~*


To make the dressing
Combine all in a shaker:
1/4 cup Red Wine Vinegar
1/4 cup Rice Vinegar
1/4 cup Balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup Soy Sauce
1/4 cup Sugar (I only use 1/2 of this)
Chopped fresh garlic to taste--if you like (I always use some)
1/2 bottle of Gerard's Caesar Dressing (I use Non-fat--with all the vinegars, you can't taste the difference)

To make the topping:
1 package of Top Ramen Noodles
1/3 cup chopped almonds
Break up the dry noodles and brown them in a pan (I spray the pan with Pam rather than using butter). Once they start to brown add the seasoning packet and the almonds and toast everything. Be careful because it browns quickly once you add the seasoning and almonds. Set aside to cool.

The basic salad consists of:
I large head of cabbage
2 bunches of green onions
Shred the cabbage, chop the onions, and put everything in a large bowl.

To serve:
Keep everything separate until ready to serve. Toss cabbage mixture with the dressing (I never use it all) and once it's tossed add the ramen/almonds and toss it a little more.

To make it a meal salad:
Add chunks of chicken breast and have fun with it. Add mandarin oranges and shredded carrots, chunks of broccoli or tomatoes for color. For a meal, I'd add all of these things. Maybe a little red onion too. I believe in "more is more." Plus, it's all healthy too. You only get a small amount of fat from the ramen and almonds.

It's really fast and easy to make--shredding the cabbage takes the longest. Once you have the vinegars and soy sauce in your cupboard, you only have to buy the dressing, cabbage, onions, nuts and noodles. Nice when you're in a hurry.

Enjoy!

Current Mood: Satisfied. I just posted last week's critique to my writing workshop and copied this week's scene so I can hopefully work on it tomorrow.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a version on Chinese Cole Slaw that I make, too. Mine uses the chicken seasoning packets from the Ramen noodles in the dressing. I like to pretend the cabbage counteracts the sodium from the dressing. LOL.

6:51 AM  
Blogger Cherry Red said...

LOL Caryle!

I'm so not a salt person. I don't even have salt in the salt shakers on my table. Because of that, I don't even think about the sodium in this recipe. (and I'm surprised it doesn't bother me taste-wise, to be honest.) But if you need to watch your sodium, then this isn't a good recipe for you, no.

To cut the sodium, take out the soy sauce and the seasoning packet and it would probably still taste great. All those vinegars have a ton of taste.

I think Kikoman also sells a low-sodim soy sauce. (I didn't see it at the store this time, but I'm sure I saw it advertised.) Maybe use 1/8 cup of low sodium soy sauce and cut the seasoning packet on the topping.

The thing about this recipe is that as a side dish, it serves like 25 people easy. So, the amount os sodium you;d get in an bit on your plate probably isn;t all that bad. But if you;re making it for a meal, the lower sodium option is very wise. Thanls for pointing this out. My mom's a dietician and I love this stuff.

Kim:)

9:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home