Friday, August 18, 2006

Checking in

Sorry I've been AWOL. Pupsitting for a couple of extremely active dogs is exhausting work! Abby and Stuart are very cute, but I could never live a normal life with dogs like this in my home on a permanent basis. Even my husband exclaimed that he can't take the stress.

The first night they were at our house, they spied Rutherford the cat and chased him all over the house. Abby noticed him jumping on the kitchen chair and up onto the kitchen table, so she followed him. I will never forget what it looked like to have a Scotty dog standing in the middle of my kitchen table. My husband and I just stared at each other for a full second or two. It was so odd. She knocked all the food off the table and Stuart kept after the cat. A couple of loud crashes from the living room brought me out of my Scottie-on-the-table haze and I ran to rescue Rutherford.

When I found Ruthie and Stuey, they looked a bit like a cyclone. All arms and legs and lots of growls. I was so afraid for Rutherford. I grabbed Stuart and Rutherford hid behind the entertainment center until we put the dogs in their crate. My husband is so against the idea of putting dogs in a crate. He was pretty much horrified when his sister told him they slept in one. It came in handy just then though, let me tell you.

It took forever to get Ruthie out from behind the entertainment center and we gave him lots of TLC. The sad thing is he's been afraid to come home at night now. Tues he came home very late. Abner had to go outside and bring him inside because he kept shying away. Wed was the same thing. Thursday he stayed even farther away. It was so sad. I had to put his food on the porch. This is really breaking my heart.

The painters are taking longer than they said they would. What turned into "three days" pupsitting is turning into 4 or 5--or more. I felt bad, but I had my husband call his sister and tell her that the dogs had to be out Saturday morning because we're leaving at Noon to go get Lulu. They already knew we were going to get her, but I wanted to make sure they knew that the dogs needed to be picked up.

I just can't bring Lulu home into a chaotic house. First she was lost, then she got stuck in the shelter, then she was at the vet in a small cage for 2 weeks, then she was at the Foster Family's house (with no yard) for a week and finally she'll be at the adoption event all afternoon with tons of dogs and people and activity. What she needs is to come home to a quiet house, to have time to explore and get to know us. I know I'm doing what's best for her. I'm sorry my sister in law will have to deal with having her dogs indoors all weekend or taking them to her mother's house, but my first responsibility is to Lulu.

Current mood: Resolute.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Katy Cooper said...

I think you're absolutely doing the right thing, putting Lulu first. I know you want to help your sil out, but, really and truly, it shouldn't back up on you that the painters underestimated the time they would need.

And pix of Lulu in her new home, please! (When she's ready to have pix taken in the new home.)

3:41 PM  
Blogger Cherry Red said...

Thanks Katy. The hubby feels a bit guilty telling his little sis the dogs had to go home. And I do understand. Her hubby is working all kinds of odd hours because he's a new air traffic controller. She's home alone with the baby this weekend and she has her hands full.

But I also think that we did help them out and we can feel good about that. But Lulu is coming home and we need to make this a safe haven for her.

10:36 PM  
Blogger dee said...

Good for you for sticking up for you and your (new) family. It's so hard to do what's best for us sometimes, especially if it means saying NO to a friend or family member. I think you did the exact right thing!!

10:55 PM  
Blogger Chari-Dee said...

I am very excited!! Today is the b ig day you bring Lulu home. Does she have a brother or sister? I can't wait to find out!!!!

6:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home