Saturday, August 05, 2006

Niki




Today and yesterday have been incredibly hard. We see little bits of Niki everywhere. Her bed (which is old and worn and I forced my husband to throw away), her toys (which we ended up burying all but one of them with her), her fur (Gah! She's an Akita. We'll be finding that for months), her bowls (still sitting full in the kitchen), her hotdogs (in the fridge--for taking her pills), her vitamins, a new bag of unopened food, etc., etc., etc.

My husband found it hard to have an uninterrupted night's sleep last night. Since I sleep like the dead, she always woke him up in the middle of the night to be let out. I looked for her when I opened the fridge, because she'd always come running. Ditto on when we came home from the store last night. ::sigh::

The expression "It's better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all" is true, but there's nothing easy about it. I miss my baby.

Current mood: melancholy

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Chari-Dee said...

Oh, sweety ((((((((KIM)))))))) I am so very sorry. I didn't realize that Niki was an Akita. These dogs must be absolutely amazing animals. My friend Jon has an Akita, only his is brown and white (I think that is probably why I didn't recognizNiki as one I thought they all were brown and white)and Che was just hit by a pick-up going full speed down the highway. Che is still a puppy but Jon loves this dog so very much and I have met Che and can see why, he is such a sweetheart. Anyway, Jon is doing everything he can to see that Che gets better.

So, since two of the best people I know love these dogs, they have to be great! I wish you lots of love and hugs while you deal with your loss.

7:41 AM  
Blogger Cherry Red said...

Hi Charity,

Aww, thank you. Yes, Niki was an Akita, as was our other beloved dog Kilroy who passed away in 2003. They come in many colors. Kilroy was all white, which you don't see as often.

Akitas are amazing family-loving dogs. In Japan they used them as baby sitters as well as bear hunters. I hope that Che gets well very soon. Tell your friend Jon we're praying for him.

hugs,
Kim

10:16 AM  
Blogger Brooke said...

I am so sorry. What a sad thing. Akitas are such wonderful dogs. Hugs to you, sweetie.

2:53 PM  
Blogger Cherry Red said...

Thanks Brooke. Akitas are wonderful dogs. My husband and both go from perfectly fine to falling apart. Luckily we've been falling apart at opposite times.

Kim

4:44 PM  
Blogger dee said...

Kim, I know this is a very rough time for you, but if possible, could you send me an e-mail? I need a favor, but I can't find your e-mail address. Thanks.
hugs and love to you,
dee

6:35 AM  
Blogger Cherry Red said...

Dee,
Hugs and love back!

1:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home