Thursday, August 31, 2006

Goals



"I can fix a bad page but I can't fix a blank one." ~ Nora Roberts

I'm drawing a line in the sand. It's time to get back to writing. Whatever issues I have with writing--like most writers, I have many--I need to put them aside and get over them. I'm a WRITER, dammit! I need to start behaving like one. Which means writing nearly every single day.

As I've said in previous posts, I hatehatehate scheduling myself. Ever since I was a kid I've always bucked against schedules. I like to keep things loose and casual most of the time... So I won't write myself a daily schedule--not yet. For now, I'm going to attempt a list of goals.

1) Critique one scene per week for my online writing workshop (I'm behind by two right now.)
2) Write a minimum of 30 minutes per day.

This will be enough to get started with right now. I'll also dig out my poster board and clippings and see if I can't get started on a collage for my WIP. No pressure. It doesn't have to be perfect. In fact, it can be hideous! Great, I'll add that:

3) Work on collage at my leisure.

I am giving myself permission to fashion an ugly collage and permission to write 30 minutes of drivel a night! At least at first. Hopefully, after I while, my confidence will come back and I won't think I suck.

This is my plan. Care to join me?

Current Mood: Hopeful.

8 Comments:

Blogger dee said...

Me! Me, me me!! Pick me!! I wanna join you! I wanna write too!! Can you hear the whine?
I also rail against schedules. Can't stand the damn things. That's why this whole "have to be structured with homeschooling this year" has my skin crawling. It's just yucky!! But we gots to do what we gots to do, right?
So yeah, I'm into this. I can do this too. 30 minutes is not too too much. I can do that when I get home. Even if it does turn out crap, I can sit and write for 30 minutes each day. Then, when I have some more time (like, yeah, when I buy myself that winning lotto ticket and hire someone to take over the rest of my life, right?) I can fix all the crap I'm writing now.
I'm in, Kim.
You check me, I'll check you. But let's only do the check thing about twice a week. Otherwise it might feel like a *ugh* schedule!!

8:59 PM  
Blogger Cherry Red said...

Yippee skippee, a partner!

Twice a week check in. You got it, babe! I like it. No schedules here just as long as you try you rbest to meet your goals...

Hugs!
Kim, wonderng why she has to do a word verification on her own Blog...

9:12 PM  
Blogger Chari-Dee said...

LOL, I have to do word verif on my own blog too, and it makes me giggle.

I would love to say I would join in, but I gotta tell you, I wanted to blog for 7 straight days, stopped at like 4. ARGH!!!!!

MUST. WRITE. Good Luck!!!!!

8:33 AM  
Blogger Cherry Red said...

Hi Charity,

We're talking about writing the WIP, not Blogging. If the blog has to slide, so be it. The blog is just for fun. For me anyway. If I was published I'd have a serious blog I'd have to update reularly. This is just for fun and friends.

Kim:)

9:24 AM  
Blogger Chari-Dee said...

I understood you were talking about the WIP, I was just saying that if I couldn't even stick to my blogging goal of every day for a week, I doubted there would be any way I would stick to writing on the WIP every day. I'm a slacker.

9:27 AM  
Blogger Cherry Red said...

LOL Charity. I got ya!

10:06 AM  
Blogger dee said...

Ok, checking in.
Last week was awful for me. I don't think I wrote at all, except maybe one day.
This week, I opened up my WIP on Monday and made some minor changes that had been bothering me. Then yesterday, I re-read everything and made some notes about where I am going with two of my characters. It wasn't really 'writing' since I didn't add to my word count, but I'm still counting it, since it was story related.
How are you doing with yours?

10:16 AM  
Blogger Cherry Red said...

Hi Dee,

Not good. Originally I figured I'd begin after the holiday weekend--though I know I didn't mention it. I also thought I'd do those two crits over the weekend--and why not? I had 4 days. I actually did NOTHING. sigh.

I did write one new page today on my lunch break and it felt good. Actually, that was 1/2 hour of writing. So, I guess I started today.

Baby steps.

HAng in there hon!

Kim

9:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home