Sunday, August 20, 2006

Lulu update

Lulu is here! She's sleeping at my feet and snoring those little Bully snores. She's precious and adorable and I love her so much.

The adoption event was a noisy, stressful zoo. It took us 2 hours to get there and then there was all this chaos--dogs everywhere, people everywhere, L.A. in general-- and the hubby and I almost left dogless. But then we saw Lulu and we took her out for a walk and re-connected with her. We talked some sense into each other--really, there was so much commotion we were starting to feel so stressed out. We were looking at other dogs and we walked Lulu and Tyson together and they did good together. But it all felt like so much. Bellini wasn't there. The rescue owner said he was at training. (When I asked about him again later she said he'd need more training because right now he was a pain in the butt. So that's not good.)

I guess it was an emotional thing too. We only lost Niki 2 weeks ago and the pain was still so fresh. Adopting a dog is a lifetime (the dog's) commitment and it all felt like such a huge thing. And it is. So, in the end we took Lulu and decided to get her situated and get a second dog in a few weeks. On the way out we saw Tyson and his foster parents and we talked with them. Earlier in the day he was mellow when he was in his crate, but once he was outside and we tried to walk him he got kind of hyper. They explained that he wasn't hyper at all, it was just the commotion--which I totally understood. When we told them that we thought we wanted him and talked to them about how we'd recently lost Niki they were so warm and caring. They run a Petsitting business and they own 2 dogs and foster 2 dogs and are really great people. According to them Tyson loves all dogs and he's just a big mellow ball of love. Abner and I are intrigued.

--Oh! Lulu just snored so loud right now! It was the funniest thing ever!--

Anyway, we really don't want to go to another of those adoption events. Hopefully we can just go pick up Tyson at their house. That would be great. The hubby and I are going to discuss this over the course of this week and see if it's something we want to commit to. I think it is.

Anyway, back to Lulu. She acts like she was abused in some way. She's skittish when she hears noises and she backs away when you stand up or move quickly, but she's already learning to trust us. When I was banging pots and pans around in the kitchen she stood there next to me and didn't even flinch, which made me happy. She doesn't like the black cordless phone at all. She backs away when one of us picks it up and we're wondering if someone hit her with one or if she got hit for taking one. She likes to pick things up and carry them off, but she hasn't ruined anything. She's very gentle.

That's all for tonight. It's been a full weekend and I still have to hang up laundry and wash my crazy mop of hair. I hope you all had a great weekend out there in Blogger land. Will post Lulu;s new pics tomorrow if Blogger will cooperate.

Current mood: sleepy and happy too...

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Chari-Dee said...

Oh I am so happy for you guys!! Your newest family member sounds like a great one!! I will NEVER understand how some one can be mean to an animal and am so glad Lulu will never have to deal with that ever again!

CONGRATS!!!

4:57 AM  
Blogger LondonWriting said...

I'm so happy for you and Lulu! She sounds so precious! Has Rutherford recovered from the Scotty invasion?

7:39 AM  
Blogger Katy Cooper said...

Give darling Lulu a hug from me!

Katy, who's glad a new family is forming

5:18 PM  
Blogger Cherry Red said...

Charity~ I'll never understand how someone could mistreat animals either. It takes a very weak person to abuse a defenseless animal or child. Thanks for the congrats. :)

Chandra~ She is precious, yes. Though occasionally she grabs a pillow or a shoe and we're trying to teach her not to do that. :) Rutherford is getting better. Last night and tonight Rutherford came home. He wouldn't walk in the door by himself when I held it open, but he would let me pick him up and take him inside. It's getting better. :)

Katy~ We've been giving her lots of hugs and she gives lots of kisses back. She's such an adorable girl. Even when she's stealing the bathroom rug over and over again as she has been the whole time I've been trying to type this reply. Clearly she's trying to get us all in the bedroom for bed.

Gotta go!

Hugs to all,
Kim

10:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home