Tuesday, October 17, 2006

If you're not angry, you're not paying attention

I saw the Movie Iraq For Sale on my vacation last week. I knew this administration was corrupt and cronyism was rampant, but I never could have imagined how bad things truly are. The Republican party touts itself as the party with moral values, the kinder and gentler party, the religious party. I believe that most people who vote Republican are those things, but this administration does not have those things in common with them.

Please see this movie. The people in the movie are U.S. soldiers and civilian workers who have actually been to Iraq. They tell of horrible things. Civilians dressed up like soldiers and told to drive on roads that were labeled "red"(or dangerous) roads with no protection and no maps. They didn't even know where they were going, they were just told to drive. Many good people who were just trying to make some extra money for their families died that way. Sacrificed by these companies to make a fast buck.

They tell of the system of payment that Haliburton and Blackwater had arranged. The more money these companies spent, the bigger bonuses the government would pay them. (These are our tax dollars, people!) So, they would lease expensive cars and they wouldn't bring over any parts. If a car got a flat tire or needed a new fan belt, they'd simply burn it and lease a new one. One man told of a car/truck that was worth (IIRC) about $40,000 that over the course of 3 years, the government had paid $230,000 in lease payments on. Our tax dollars and the government doesn't even own that car now. It was a lease! Workers were put up in 4 star hotels! Meanwhile, there are many people who are homeless in our own country!

Some of the soldiers said that they were told to train the civilians to do their own jobs (many of them confidential) and after the civilians were trained, the soldiers didn't have anything to do. Why are we asking our soldiers to train civilians to do the jobs that U.S. soldiers are supposed to do? So these big companies could send workers and pad the bill they send to the government, to the Republican controlled congress.

Maybe some of you don't know that because the Republicans control all 3 branches of government (plus the Supreme Court now) there can be no oversight committees and no hearings unless they allow them. And they will NOT allow them. I hear many people ask why there is no oversight. This is why. The Democrats' hands are tied. In order to get some kind of oversight in our government, we need both parties (therefore 100% of America--not just 51%) represented. All of our voices must be heard.

Please watch the clips of this movie. Please go see it. Please start asking questions. Please educate yourself. PLEASE VOTE in November. We need accountability in government. "Absolute power corrupts absolutely." No truer words have ever been spoken.

Current Mood: Heartsick. How could this happen in America?

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Chari-Dee said...

I've never heard of this movie, but to be honest, I don't watch movies all that often, or watch t.v. for that matter. But, I really want to see this one now. Is it in theaters or on DVD? If it's in theaters I doubt it will come any where near where I live, right in the heart of the Bible Belt, the powers that be don't like to sully us with something as silly as knowledge.

I need to find it now for sure though! Thanks for letting me know about it!

5:12 AM  
Blogger Cherry Red said...

If you go to the website www.iraqforsale.com you can go to the link "host a screening" (I think) and it should take you to all the screenings in your area if you put in your zip code.

I was so sad and angry when I saw the movie. I can't even put it into words...

7:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Things like this are the reason I cried when W was re-elected.

How did this man and his administration hijack my country? Grrrr.

10:31 AM  
Blogger Cherry Red said...

Hi Caryle,

I know. I LOVE my country. And every time they called people who were against his party, his war and his politics unamerican, it just fueled my sadness and anger a little more. See the movie. Take Dan and Heidi with you. You will not believe it!

12:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home