Thursday, July 26, 2007

New (Fiscal) Year Resolutions

Well... It doesn't seem that long ago that I typed that bio over on the right side of the screen. A new year to get healthy and blah blah blah... I made a whole lot of false starts too. But this week I began anew with a simple thing, making a food journal. I'm lucky enough to have been raised by a registered diet technician mom, so I can mostly do all the calorie and fat counts off the top of my head.

It's a simple thing and something you hear all the time. Write down everything you eat. You'll be surprised. Well, for me the writing everything down and adding everything up becomes more of a challenge. Can I make my goal? Can I save calories from breakfast and lunch if I know we're eating dinner out? Etc.

I don't have a problem with making healthy balanced choices, I was raised eating healthy, but I do like my treats. I also realized that when trying to eat low calorie, I do have to take calories into consideration, not just fat grams. I generally try to watch my fat intake for health reasons even when I'm not dieting--even when I'm really blowing it. But my morning cappucino mix that only has 2 grams of fat (for my X-L mug)is 220 calories. That's not so bad, but I'm trying to get down to 1,200 calories. 1/6 of my calories on a mug o' joe? Uh-uh. The morning cappucino is now classified as an occasional treat. Since I also love hot tea, I have an X-L mug of that (with Equal) for 0 calories and 0 fat instead. Go me.

This is my fourth day and I've done very well. No one really reads this anyway, but I thought if I posted my progress, it might make me stick to it a little better. Here are my totals for the first 4 days:

Monday- 1,375 calories, 32 fat grams
Tuesday- 1,133 Calories, 17 1/2 fat grams
Wednesday- 1,475 Calories, 30 fat grams
Thursday- 1,375 Calories, 22 1/2 fat grams

An interesting note: Mon & Wed were days I ate leftovers from restaurants. It's much harder to watch your fat when eating out, but it can be done. I believe there's something like 30 gm of fat in a Big Mac. Even on my higher fat days, I had a whole day's worth of food for the same amount of fat. Much more heart healthy.

I want to work my way down to about 1,200 calories a day and keep the fat grams at 20-25 grams, but I feel like this week has been a good experament and I'm pretty close and not trying too terribly hard.

Exercise is an important part of it too. We walk 5 or 6 nights a week and Tuesday (I have a dentist appt Monday) I'm back in the gym at least 4 days a week. My goal is 5, but sometimes I have an appt, so 4 is ok, especially since we also walk at night.

That's all for now. If anyone out there is trying to eat healthier, work out, or set any other goals, let me know. We can cheer each other on!

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Heidi Cullinan said...

Hey, I read!

I'm not as formal as you about it (GO, Red!) but I am trying to be healthier--have been for awhile. With me I have to balance in a lot of weird factors, but my most recent addition is to try and cut back on caffeine. Since I use that in part to compensate when my adrenal falls, that's extra hard. I'm using a few crutches (http://www.botanicalalchemy.com/) but mostly it's just me trying to do better. Hard!

You can do it, K!

5:03 AM  
Blogger Cherry Red said...

Hey Amazon Babe!

You can do it too! It must be much harder having to balance all those other things on op of just eating right. Go you!

YOu can do it H! :)

6:54 AM  
Blogger meesh said...

"No one really reads this anyway,..."

I pop by every now and again too. :)

I hope your healthy eating goes well. I'm diabetic and usually try to follow a 1,500 calorie a day diet with the exchange system. If I cut out a snack or two, it can get down near 1,200 as well. I admire your goals. It's not always easy to watch every morsel that goes into your mouth like that. Remember to enjoy a treat every now and again too. Mmmm....

P.S. You've inspired me, btw. Gotta go for a run this weekend!

4:48 PM  
Blogger Cherry Red said...

Meesh,

I didn't know you were diabetic. That must be hard. Actually, I use the diabetic exchange system as the basis for my diet. 1,500 is managable, and 1,200 is hard, but it's nice that I really can eat anything I want, I just have to calculate it in.

I'm glad I inspired you to go running. I've seen pictures on your blog and you're very cute and slim, but running is good for your heart and lungs. I want you around a long time to help feminist and animal rights causes!

Hugs,
Kim

10:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home