Monday, March 19, 2007

What if...

As I continue to brainstorm my plot, I keep asking myself, "what if..." What if a you had werewolf genes and you didn't know it? What if you lived...oh, 25 or 30 years and one day you shapeshifted into a werewolf? What if all the people you trusted had been killed and you didn't know who to turn to?

Such is the case for a character in the manuscript I'm plotting. The only thing is, I sense that there's more to it than that, that that the character turns into a werewolf for the first time in the middle of the book. So, what happens before this? If you follow the rule of Start Where the Trouble Starts or Start On the Day That's Different as I do, it means I'll have to keep thinking, "What if..." for a while longer.

I'm liking the idea of her going outside her comfort zone. She has to of course. Her mother and her aunts have been killed and she's lived a pretty sheltered life. Not that she's naive, but she's lived her whole life in a small mountain town protected from the outside world. There's no one she can turn to in her area. Which will lead her to the heroine from my unfinished manuscript. (The one I set aside for a while.) Perhaps Roma or a member of her Pack can help her? This could work. I just have to find a reason why she'd go to her. Perhaps a mutual friend in Roma's Pack. It could work...

Hopefully, I'll come up with some more good stuff very soon. I'm anxious to start writing some of this. Perhaps I'll try my hand at a collage as well. I don't have a lot of collage ideas right now, and I'm thinking that might be the best time to do it--stream of consciousness time.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Grendel said...

You're quite possibly already aware of this, and if so never mind. :) If you're doing werewolves, you might want to check out some of the World of Darkness roleplaying stuff. Either to purposefully depart from their take on the mythology or to not. They're one of the newer breed of roleplaying games, and pretty heavy on atmosphere and background for the games.

On the other hand, I could also see choosing to avoid it entirely, as I have at times found knowing what other people have done with a genre to be more of hindrance in writing than a help (If you're famaliar with South Park, it's the "Simpson's did it!" quandry. :) )

7:27 AM  
Blogger Cherry Red said...

LOL! I love Southpark. I wish I still had cable.

My previous manuscript was about werewolves, so I've done some research. I'm the kind of person who'd rather create her own rules than go with the established ones. So, this manuscript will build on the rules I already created in the first one.

But I love to see waht others are doing. So, I'll be sure to google World of Darkness and see what pops up.

Thanks Grendel!

7:33 AM  
Blogger Chari-Dee said...

WOW, KIm, this sounds excellent! Hurry up and write it so I can buy a copy, LOL I have no doubts that you are talented enough to find the exact "what if" you need! Keep us posted.

Luvs

7:57 AM  
Blogger Cherry Red said...

Oh, Char, you're so sweet. Thank you!

8:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home