Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Plotting update



Hi there to my friends in Bloggerland. I thought I'd post a short update. I am very happy to report that I have plotted at least half of the bare bones of my next manuscript. And--get this--there's actual conflict in the story already! Go me! I'm particularly happy that I'm setting it in Roma's (my previous protagonist's) world, so the books can be connected. I was feeling guilty for putting Roma's book aside, but now I don't have to.

The new protagonist is a witch. Her photo--drawn by the fabulous artist Ericka Baque--is above. I have some supporting characters in Roma's story who are witches, but having a witch protagonist is going to be especially fun I think. I posted her photo on my Today's Beautiful Thing Blog, but I'll post her pic here too. She also reminds me of Kathy Valentine a lot. My fave pic on Kathy's website is the one where she's all in back, on the ground with one knee up, with her electric guitar. Kick ass! I'm really getting excited about this project.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Chari-Dee said...

OOOOOH, this sounds excellent. I've actually been plotting, too. Which is a totally new thing for me. I know a lot of my characters, BUT my protag has been moving around a lot before the book begins, and I need to know why. I can't quite pin it down, and she isn't being very helpful. She just keeps telling me "No. That's not it. Keep trying." She is a bullheaded one.

Can't wait to keep getting updates on this, sounds like you are really getting into a groove with it.

Luvs ~ Char

7:49 AM  
Blogger Cherry Red said...

THis is funny. That's what Roma was doing to me. She wouldn't tell me what she wanted and I ended up puttting the ms aside because I couldn't quite get it right and it was actually becoming painful for me. I hope your girl tells you what she's been doing so you can finish her story. Funny how stubborn they can be, huh?

Looks like we are on the same page- wink!- so to speak. You're organic too? Not a plotter? There's lots of us out there. :)

I've noticed that each manuscript has it's own quirks, techniquewise. My first one I just picked up the pen and wrote from beginning to end. I barely even thought a scene ahead, I just wrote. I completely plotted a historical (The only time I've ever done that) and I couldn't write past ch 3 because knowing where I was going it wasn't any fun...

I think change is good, though. While I'll never consider myself to be a plotter, I'm playing with plot and seeing where it gets me. It's fun so far.

Good luck to you, Char!

Kim:)

1:51 PM  
Blogger Grendel said...

I usually do a combination of the two, on those rare occaisions I still write prose. I need to have some sense of where the overall story is going (especially since I've only ever done short stories, so there's less time for characters to digress) but I've also never sat down an drawn out the plot of a story. I've always just had to have the big picture worked out. On the other hand, I haven't done much in the way of prose at all for years so. . . :)

7:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home