Saturday, June 30, 2007

Writing Whine

Oh, for the love of God, where do I find the time? Ack! If we could just have 30 hour days.... Imagine that. I could have 8 hours of sleep and 4 hours of writing! Yeah! Uh, earth to Kim? Reality check time. (Besides, if we had 30 hour days, we'd probably work 10 hour shifts.)

Ok, so 30 hour days are not possible. There must be ways to shave off a little bit of time here and there. What I would really like is 2 hours a day to write, after I do my moderator, blog and e-mail stuff. So, I guess I'm looking for 3 hours of computer time. It sounds grand, doesn't it? It actually sounds very greedy and unrealistic. I guess 2 hours would be more realistic. One hour for e-mail/mod duties/blogs and one hour for the Work in Progress (WIP). Two and a half on good days.

So, what are some good ways to "find" time? I already try to cook 2 or 3 night's dinner at once. Actually, I don't find this saves a great deal of time since heating up various left-overs and replenishing things like salads and steaming fresh veggies still takes time. But it does cut down on the "what the hell am I going to make for dinner?" routine which can eat up a half hour of whining and rummaging through the cupboards and fridge.

Going to work on time is good. Getting home from work at 5 instead of 5:30 or 6 is very helpful.

Having my gym clothes for the week all washed and folded and bundled up is a good way to keep my morning routine speedy. If I leave the gym on time, I have time in the morning to make lunches before I get dressed for work and it keeps me on time to work too.

Weekends are good times to write more. The only thing about weekends is the "to do" list. There's grocery shopping, laundry, and all the errands. People suggest doing those things after work but then I give up my writing time at night since it pushes everything back. It really is a vicious circle, isn't it?

I know I've totally neglected this blog, so I don't expect many of my Blogger pals to still be reading, but if you are, please post your time-saving tips. It doesn't matter if you work a 40-hour week or if you're a stay at home mom (or dad) time is hard to find for all of us. I'm going to think about the topic and post anything else I can think of in a future post. Maybe if we all share ideas, we can help eachother and come up with more.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger dee said...

Time saving tips? I've got nada.
What I have been doing is making a "me time" every day, just for writing. I block off an hour at night, when it gets quiet, or early in the mornings, and I don't allow myself onto the internet during that time. Not for e-mail, not for research, not for anything. I don't have a specific word count goal or scene goal, the only goal is to write.
It's not as easy, or as hard, as it sounds. I just decided that I'm really a writer, and writers - they write. So.
Life still gets in the way a lot, but I still keep trying.
Missed you lately. Glad you're back.

4:45 PM  
Blogger Cherry Red said...

Thanks Dee!

I missed you too. Writers write seems so basic, but it's totally true. Let's do it together.

Hugs,
Kim

11:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home