Thursday, February 14, 2008

RIP Tom Lantos


I was suprised and saddened to learn this morning that CA Representative Tom Lantos,the first and only Holocaust survivor to be elected to congress, passed away on Monday. I've watched Mr. Lantos on CSPAN for many hours over the years and I admire his work on behalf of our country, as well as for people suffering around the world.

His memorial service was on TV tonight, and I watched it from start to finish, amazed at the people who spoke on his behalf: congressmen, world leaders, even Bono! But I was most impressed by his wife, children and grandchildren. Their eloquent words were delivered with poise and dignity. His granddaughter, Charity, sang the most incredible song in his honor. It gave me goosebumps. His wife Annette, also a Holocaust survivor, spoke of their 70 year love affair and there wasn't a dry eye in the house--or in mine.

It makes me sad to realize that Tom Lantos no longer walks this earth, but there are a few ways we can pay tribute to him every day. Remember to stand up for people who have no voice. Remember to love your family. Remember to lend a hand to those in need. Remember that sometimes we have to fight, fight, and keep on fighting for what's right and just. Finally, remember to enjoy life to the fullest--Tom sure did.

Rest in Peace Tom Lantos

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home