Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Blog for Choice Day 2008


Today is the 35th Anniversary of Roe V. Wade and the second annual Blog for Choice day. I feel quite fortunate that I've never had to make that choice, but I am grateful that, unlike my mother's generation, choice has always been an option for me. I'm worried, too, that many young women today have become complacent and don't realize how close we are to having the freedom of Choice taken from us. It only takes one more Supreme Court Justice stepping down while Bush is in office or a Republican winning the 2008 presidential election, to get the conservative majority needed to overturn Roe V. Wade.

I also wish to state that I don't know anyone who's pro-choice who thinks abortion is a wonderful thing. The pro-lifers paint us like people who think everyone should just run out and have an abortion, like we take delight in it. If no one ever had to have an abortion ever again that would suit me just fine. And maybe someday we can get there--or, at least, much closer to there--but for now we have issues to tackle. I was going to write up a more formal essay, but I decided not to. I'm passionate about this issue, and making it more perfect and sterile, takes the heart and soul out of it. So, here are my off the cuff thoughts about Choice tonight.

We need comprehensive sex education for all children and teens--taught in an age appropriate manner, of course. It's all well and good to teach abstinence. I think everyone agrees that abstinence is best, but statistics show that these programs don't work. Teens say one thing and do another. That's what being a teen is all about, right? Testing boundaries? Thinking you know it all? Yeah. And when teens decide to have sex, if they haven't been taught about condoms, birth control, sexually transmitted infections (STI's) and pregnancy, they're left in the dark. Since Bush took office and funding has switched to Abstinence Only Education, teen pregnancies and STI's are on the rise. 'Nuff said. Teach kids what they need to know to be safe.

Adoption is a great option as well. But the thing about adoption is that I don't know anyone who's pro-life whose actually adopted a child. I often ask why people don't consider adoption, and I'm usually told it's because, "I can have my own babies." That's all well and good, but if a pro-lifer won't adopt children, who will? Your average pro-lifer votes Republican and the Republican party regularly cuts funding on all the programs that poor children and single mothers need like WIC, Head Start, foodstamps, welfare, etc. If you won't take in one of these children you are trying to save, and you won't fund the programs to help the children who you are "saving," then are you really saving this child at all?

I used to work with a woman from Romania and she told me why she'd never go back to live there. In Romania, someone from the government came into the office where she worked once a month and gave all the women a pregnancy test. If your test came out positive, they made note of it. Next month they came back and tested everyone again. If you weren't pregnant the next month, you better be able to pass a physical examination by a doctor proving you miscarried or you'd be arrested! Abortion was illegal in Romania when she lived there. (I haven't investigated the legalities today.) I cannot imagine living somewhere like that, somewhere women are forced to give birth to a child against their will. I can't even begin to fathom what that must be like. She said that to be a woman in Romania was like being a second class citizen, with no right to her own body. She, like me, was pro-choice.

If abortion is made illegal in America, would the government resort to something like this? I wouldn't put it past some of the passionate pro-lifers I've met. Most of them care more about the unborn child than the woman whose life is going to be turned upside down. Her own life with her own unique set of circumstances, not theirs. It matters not to most of them if the woman's life is at risk, if she was raped or molested by a family member, or if the child is severely deformed. Well, it matters to me. It matters a great deal to me that a woman not risk her life for a child whose not even here yet when she may have other children depending on her, that someone who was raped not be forced to re-live her experience by being forced to give birth, that a deformed child not live a short, painful, unnecessary life because some people think sparing him the pain is murder.

I also wonder who the pro-lifers think are going to adopt these children they "save" if they overturn Roe, when more and more people are able to "have their own babies" with techniques like in vitro fertilization. I wonder why they don't think the extra embryos that are destroyed after the in vitro process is over (and the couple has produced their desired amount of children) are not human lives too. One would think that if you did consider them to be human lives, you'd want their lives to have meant something by allowing them be used for stem cell research, but that's another topic for another day.

Happy Anniversary Roe V. Wade. Remember, complacency kills. Fight the good fight, every day in every way.

Peace.

Please check out the others who Blogged for Choice today.

I blogged for choice last year as well- HERE.

Labels: , , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Mr Lady said...

Cherry Red,

thank you for your wonderful comment on my blog and for YOUR wonderful post. I get caught up in my own personal issues on the topic and wish I had the clarity to state things the way you have.

I cannot wait to come back and read more of your blog.

Thank you again.

9:39 PM  
Blogger Cherry Red said...

mr lady,
I feel the same way about your blog. I enjoyed it very much. And thanks again for sharing your story. It wa brave of you to share your soul that way.

Kim

10:37 PM  
Blogger DianeSchuller.com said...

This is so interesting. I honestly did not know about the Blog for Choice day. If I had I would have participated. I'll try to remember for next year or at least hope to hear about it beforehand so I can post and participate as well.

So that I mark it down, is it the specific date: Jan 22 or is it always the 4th Tues of January -- just want to be sure I get the correct date marked down.

Diane at Sand to Glass
Diane's Flickr photos

Dogs Naturally

8:00 PM  
Blogger Cherry Red said...

Hi Diane,
Blog for choice day is on the Anniversary of Roe V. Wade- January 22nd. If you click on the 2008 Blog for Choice icon on the right side of my psge, you'll be directed to the NARAL web site for more info.

The 35th anniversary of Roe was only a couple of days ago. It's never too late to post.

Kim:)

8:25 PM  
Blogger Chari-Dee said...

Oh man, you may never talk to me again....BUT, my thoughts on abortion are really different. It's not called a Hot Button Issue for no reason ;)

There are very few reasons that I see an abortion as being OK. If a woman was raped, you betcha, there is absolutely NO reason she should be forced to carry that child (there are several women that DO carry the child that was a result of a rape and LOVE that child, but I think that is the minority) BUT, the problem I see with making abortion completely legal is so many women do it because "They just aren't ready to be a mom, and oops they forgot the protection."

I'm not saying that there are not valid reasons to abort. For instance - rape, severe deformities, or illness - BUT there are also instances where the woman simply didn't think far enough ahead and had unprotected sex (for whatever reason) and the resulting pregnancy isn't something she wants to deal with. That, IMO, is not cool boo-boo.

My thoughts on abortion are pretty much - It's an option when the choice is taken away, ie. rape. Otherwise, you play - you deal with the consequences.

The Hubs and I would adopt in a heartbeat, however, it isn't an option for us. We simply do not have the money. We have all the LOVE in the world. But out home is small, and they wouldn't even let us foster kids, let alone adopt, because of the space we live in. I don't know if these laws are state mandated or what, but we have actually looked into fostering kids (and we would do it without government funds) and told that due to the space we have to house the kids, we were not eligible.

Adoption in the U.S. is expensive. Unfortunately, it is far cheaper to go out of the country to find a baby than it is to adopt in the borders of our own country. And no matter how far advances in science go, there are still several ppl that CANNOT conceive. Period. However, they have spent tons of dollars on procedures that do not produce the desired result, and they simply do NOT have the funds to adopt a child from the US.

So, to say that ANYONE that wants an abortion should be allowed to have one just doesn't fit. Unless a woman is raped, she has the choice. She has the choice to say NO, she has the choice to get herself protection and then make sure her partner WEARS protection.

I've never dealt with the decision to abort or not, Thank GOD. I have dealt with wanting to give a home to those that did not have one and was told - NO. So my feelings are mixed to say the least. I may be a bit bitter about being told we weren't good enough to help when so many ppl were taking advantage! BUT, I still firmly stand by the notion that unless the choice of having sex is taken away, then abortion should not be an option.

I still LOVE you to pieces and hope that my views don't tick ya off too bad :)

If ya've been wondering where I've been, I got a job!!!! Only part-time, but that 4 hours a day is interupting the flow of my life pretty major!

Luvs!

8:55 PM  
Blogger Cherry Red said...

Charity,
You know I love you no matter what you think on the abortion issue or any other. Like I said, I don't think abortion is a good thing, but I don't like the idea of anyone telling me what I have to do with my body. My body is mine. Simple as that. I hope you still like me for thinking what I think too.

Also, my father and his wife adopted a newborn baby about 4 years ago. They didn't spend a lot. T him from the state and they were only on the list a year. Unusual? Maybe so. But there are affordable ways to adopt out there for the average person who isn't rich. Just thought I'd mention that.

I've known since I was about 4 years old that I would never go through a pregnancy. Just always knew it was something that didn't feel right for me. If we ever change our mind about having children, we will adopt. An older child because they need homes more than babies do.

Hugs girl,
Kim

9:08 PM  
Blogger Cherry Red said...

PS. COngrats on the new job. I didn't realize you were working. I can only imagine how tough it must be with 2 kids. Getting my with 2 dogs is hard enough. Hugs girl!

9:10 PM  
Blogger Chari-Dee said...

Of course I still love you silly! I think that mandates are different by state, and I know we were crushed when we were told that we could not foster a kid and needed around $10k in funds to adopt. That's a LOT of money to us, and like you, we would rather give a home to a child of older age that needed one. However, we simply do not have a home big enough, or funds large enough to aquire said home, so it isn't going to happen. We'd do it in a heartbeat, but our hearts are bigger than our wallets apparently :)

The job is fun, and only part time. I LOVE it, but that four hours out of my day is killing me, as no one in my house feels the need to change their schedules, ARGH!!! LOL

9:21 PM  
Blogger Cherry Red said...

Char,
SO glad your new job is fun. Of course no one else will change their schedule. you're the woman! You have to work around everyone else, right? :)

Have you tried a local foster home? Michele and John were going to foster a child and the home was going to pay them montly, plus provide the insurance. You do jump thru a lotta hoops, of course. I do admit my dad got lucky, getting a child (a baby at that!) so quickly and inexpensively. NH must be a good place for adoptions.

Hugs,
Kim

6:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home