Sunday, May 07, 2006

This week's goals

The problem with being a perfectionist is that it often leads to procrastination. I am a member of an online writer's workshop where we critique one scene per week. That's all. Just one. Sounds easy enough, right? On a good week it is. But once I get behind...oh boy does it ever get out of control. I just don't want to sit down and do it until I'm in the right frame of mind, or until I know I have enough time to devote to it so I can do a really good job. Counting this week's scene--which is due Friday--I have 4 scenes to do. Yikes! Each scene takes about an hour to write once I've read it a good three times and answered some basic required questions.

I decided to try setting weekly goals on my blog. That way a handful of people out there will know what I'm supposed to accomplish this week. I really need to write my own stuff, but I won't feel free to do that until my obligations are met so...

Monday- Critique C's scene
Tuesday- Critique K's scene
Wednesday- Critique C's scene
Thursday- Critique A's scene
Friday- Free night--out to dinner with hubby.
Saturday- OCC/RWA meeting--Get up early and write WIP before.
Sunday- Write WIP/Critique some of Michele's stuff.

I would also like to add that I started back in the gym on Wed. April 26th. I work out Monday-Friday from 5:30 AM-6:30 AM. I want to continue this until I get back down to the size I want to be and after that I will continue on with this at least three days per week.

Is working out making me more creative or just cranky? Honestly, it's just making me really tired (I just can't seem to get to bed early enough). And a little sore (though the soreness is going away). I used to work out 5 mornings a week, and so I'm getting back into the groove. I tend to be an all or nothing kind of girl. When I'm writing, I really need to write every day. When I'm exercising, 2 or 3 days per week just doesn't seem to cut it. It's too easy to let it slide. When I'm trying to eat healthy, I think about what I'll make for dinner, pack for my lunch, what kind of healthy snacks I'll have... You get the idea.

So, in an effort to get the crits done and ease my guilty mind I really hope this goal setting will work. Wish me luck!


Current Mood: Sleepy yet hopeful

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger dee said...

I rally envy you that you can make plans like that. I hope that you can stick with it. I often have these grand plans, usuually just a day in advance. Today, I'm supposed to be cleaning off my desk. Problem is, I picked up a book this morning, and I won't get anything 'extra' done until I've finished the book. That's what happens with most of my days. Either I'm reading, or I sit down at my comp[uter and get sucked into my story, or blogging, or something.

The only thing I'm fairly consistent about is my exercise.I had to take the week off last week. I had HUGE BLISTERS from all of my new shoes in Vegas. I counted 9 of them. So no running for me. But I'm excited to get back out there. And I'm VERY excited for you. Stick with your plan. If you feel like slacking, send me a note. I'll be more than happy to spur you on. It always helps me to have an accountability partner, someone that I will NOT lie to impress. Try that if you find yourself slacking.

7:00 AM  
Blogger Cherry Red said...

Thanks Dee. Please don't envy me. This is my PLAN. I hope to stick to it. We'll see.

I'm with you on the blisters. That's the worst when you are trying to work out. I have mild asthma, so I can't run long distance, but I walk fast and jog a little and walk fast and jog a little. When I'm in better shape I put the treadmill on the incline. I used to do an hour 5 days week going 4.5 at a 15% incline. Eeek. Now 45-50 minutes at 4.0 on the flat surface is kicking my butt. I have to work back up to it again. :)

I'll check back in with you later and see if you've done your Monday items. :)

1:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home