Saturday, November 17, 2007

Success

I've been working on the first scene of my new manuscript for a couple of weeks. For me, the first scene is crucial for wrapping my head around where the first draft is going. I'm sure it will totally change when I rewrite, but, for now, it needs to be what it needs to be. I'm not always certain what it actually needs to be at first, but once it feels right, I can go on and write first draft garbage to my heart's content.

Anyway, I had been working on two different (yet similar) versions of it--one at work on my lunch break and one at home, at night, before bed. It's interesting to compare the two versions, written in different environments and at different times of day.

A couple of nights ago, I printed both of them out and made corrections. Then, I sat down and weaved the two of them together. I went back and forth, hilighting and numbering each scene chunk and I think it all flows together nicely. This weekend, my job will be to type the whole thing up and finish the scene. It might need a paragraph or two--or even a page or two--but I won't know until I have it in front of me.

So far, I think it's 7 pages. Won't know til it's all smooshed together. I have to post it for my critique group on Nov 30th, so I am trying to really get this thing right. I don't want to waste people's time by posting something that isn't as polished as I can get it. Normally, I wouldn't bother to polish it after this, I'd just go on and write the next scene--which I'll still do once this is ready for the crit group. Promise!

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger ChariDee said...

Awesome News! Congrats! I know it feels so good when you get that first part just so, it's almost like a dam breaking.

Congrats!

12:59 PM  
Blogger Cherry Red said...

Thanks Char!

I haven't been by to read your writing blog, but I saw you posted a bunch of stuff. Will read it soon.

Hugs!

1:02 PM  
Blogger Chari-Dee said...

Not much over on the writing blog, just me trying to sort through my tangled thoughts on writing. I don't think it's particularly interesting, but if you get a chance let me know what you think!

9:23 AM  
Blogger Cherry Red said...

I will, absolutely! Maybe this weekend I'll let myself just surf the net and explore, instead of modding, e-mailing and writing. I sure wish there were a couple of extra hours in a day. :)

8:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home